I have been trying to come up with an introduction for this post and I am not sure that there are the write words for the suitation we find ourselves in today.
It is a scary and uncertain time for a lot of people, including myself. I am a senior in college and not only am I now worrying about not graduating, I am worried about finding a job once this is all over. It is safe to say that the new Coronavirus is going to change our lives forever.
While you might not think that there is anything you can do to help stop the spread of this virus, I am here to tell you there is; STAY THE FUCK INSIDE! (PLS pardon my language)
Seriously I do not understand why it is so hard for some people to wrap their heads around the fact that this is a real thing, it is really killing people, and while you may feel just fine, you could be carrying and spreading the virus at an alarming rate. We all know someone who is over the age of 60 and you going out is putting them at risk.
It disgust me to see clubs and beaches still packed with younger people who feel they are immune to this disease and have some sort of entitlement that allows them to not follow any of the new rules and regulations set in place. We all want this to be over, but it is just going to take longer the longer we continue to ignore the guidelines from the CDC and DHEC.
With all that rambling, I am trying to say, you can help stop this disease by staying inside if you can – I understand some people are still required to go to work, but if you are not, stay home and stay away from those who are at a high risk. Wash you hands regularly, eat healthy, take you vitamins, and be smart. We are all in this together and we will get through it all together, probably not today and probaly not anytime soon, but we will get through this.
Okay, so now onto what this post is meant to be about, things to do to stay sane will self-quaritining, and some things you shouldn’t do!
*please note that I am not a doctor and though some of my suggestions might seem like medical advice, take my advice at your own risk, however, I will never recommend something that I have no tired*
- Virtual Museum tours – Find a list of them here
- BroadwayHD is offering all their shows on their online streaming channel until further notice
- Many libraries are offering online E-book selections – Check with you local library to see about audio book/E-book rentals
- For fans of Horror, Shudder is offering a 30 day free trail using code, ‘SHUTIN’
- Love Sundance Films or never seen one? SundanceNow is offering a 30 day free trail using code, ‘SUNDANCENOW30’
- Watch a classic movie – great list of classic movies on Netflix can be found here
- Read a book
- Start a quarantine dairy – I like this idea because I have terrible memory and I would love to one day look back on this experience and see how we came back from it
- Take your Elderberry Syrup
- Partake in Instagram challenges – there are currently dance challenges and DIY Craft challenges trending on Instagram
- Learn a foreign language with Duolingo or practice one you already know!
- Start practicing Yoga every morning, or at least once a day – you can find many tutorials on many different levels on Youtube
- Bake – try making something new, and remember you can only use whats already in your house
- Take a fancy bath – with wine if you’d like 🙂
- If like me, you have been wanting to write an E-book, or even a book, now you have time to sit down and write! (A tip from my creative writing teacher; when you want to write something sit down and write it, then go back and edit the parts you do not like)
- Follow me on Instagram, @tgfairy
- No better time to go through and clean every room in your house and get rid of the things you no longer need, donate them if you can when you can.
- If your are a content creator, create that content, I promise you can still do it from your house! You might have to switch it up a little but your being selfish if you think you cannot, sorry not sorry.
- Finally back up your photos to you external hard-drive and say bye bye to that horrid ‘iCloud is full’ notification
- Read a Harry Potter Book and then watch the movie
- Enter the world that is youtube tutorial videos and teach yourself something new
- Watch all the Star Wars – and force your household to watch them with you
- Brush your teeth with your non dominant hand because why not
- Time yourself typing and see how many words you can type in a minute, see if you can do it better each time.
- Use that adult coloring book you bought and never touched
- Go through your closet, try on everything, get rid of things you do not love and haven’t worn in a while
- Plan a vacation, down to every detail, then go on it on day!
- Make your own Soap or Shampoo
- If still available, and if no one in your house is experiencing symptoms, order food from local restaurants and have a picnic at home
- Listen to podcast – ‘Girls Gotta Eat’ is one of my favorites!
- Watch live cameras at Zoos, Parks, and nature reservations
- Take an online course, you can find some Ivy league classes, Hubspot, and there is a larger list here
- Play with you pets
- Deep clean your shower
So I have a much shorter list of things you shouldn’t do during this time, but I think that they are also important.
- Do not mindlessly scroll through facebook and other new apps reading news on the virus – you are likely just going to stress yourself out, instead, try to catch the live briefings given by local and national city and government officials.
- Do not continue to go to the gym, do not continue to go to mall, do not go into public unless you have too!
- Don’t do nothing; if you are someone who struggles in times like this, make it an extra effort to reach out to your friends and family, even if it is just texting, stay in touch and stay present.
Well, thank you for coming to my TED Talk and I will be back in a few days with a new post for your guys!
Stay safe everyone!